Parks and Recreation
City Parking Lots at Trailheads and some Parks Closed
Additional Closures as of 4/8/2020
- LaSalle Springs Middle School parking lot - closed from 6:00 a.m. on Fridays through 6:00 a.m. on Mondays;
- Ridge Meadows Elementary School parking lot - closed from 6:00 a.m. on Fridays through 6:00 a.m. on Mondays;
- LaSalle Institute (located on Rue de La Salle) has closed their parking lot;
- All streets in the Glencoe Area (around Glencoe City Park and the Al Foster Memorial Trailhead and trail) are posted No Parking. This includes Washington Avenue, Grand Avenue, and 3rd Street;
- Bluff View Park entry circle is posted No Parking; and
- the new parking lot in Community Park, and the pavilions there, are closed.
Original Closures as of 4/3/2020 - still in effect
There have been recent reported instances of visitors to St. Louis County parks congregating and not following required social distancing (keeping 6 feet of distance between you and other people) guidelines. On April 2, St. Louis County announced the closure of their parks through at least April 22 (this includes Greensfelder County Park in Wildwood and Sherman Beach). After assessing available information relative to our parks and trails, we’ve determined that similar congregating by groups in close quarters is also occurring at several of Wildwood’s trails. The close congregating by groups does not, however, appear to be occurring at our parks and other facilities.
As a result, earlier today, April 3, Mayor Jim Bowlin, in consultation with our Police Captain, City Administrator and Director of Planning & Parks, ordered the closure of parking lots at the following trails:
- the Al Foster Memorial Trailhead,
- Bluff View Park,
- Glencoe City Park,
- John L. LeCave Trailhead, and
- Rock Hollow Trailhead Access
This action is being taken pursuant to Resolution 2020-11, which was recently passed by the City Council giving Mayor Bowlin the authority to make decisions necessary to promote the safety of and protect Wildwood residents during the COVID-19 pandemic.
These parking lot closures will take effect as of 12:01 a.m. Saturday, April 4. The closures will not restrict access to these areas (i.e. by bicycle, walking, etc.), but will significantly reduce, if not eliminate entirely, the congregating by large groups.
We will continue to monitor the degree and manner of usage of our parks and related facilities, and take additional measures as may be warranted to promote the safety of our residents.
St. Louis County Parks
**As of Sunday, March 22, 2020** Due to the most recent Order by County Executive Page, all playgrounds (including Anniversary Park, Community Park, Glencoe City Park, and Old Pond School), playground equipment and restrooms are closed in all parks in Wildwood. According to the Order, you can still participate in outdoor activities like walking, running, hiking and biking! To this end, the City’s trail corridors and parks remain open, but practice social distancing and follow all recommended steps of the CDC in this regard. We encourage you to get outside and explore the great parks and trails in Wildwood.
From our friends and partner, Great Rivers Greenway, reminding us to be safe, even while outdoors. Enjoy the parks, trails, and other great public areas, but please be safe out there!
Parks and Recreation Events
All events through April 30th (and possibly through the end of May if ordered) have been canceled, including all pavilion rentals. While we encourage you to get outside and enjoy the great outdoors, we ask that you please use caution in the parks. Do not congregate in groups beyond the members of your household, and be aware the playgrounds, picnic benches, benches, pavilions, restrooms, and other items within the parks are not being disinfected beyond their regular cleaning schedules.
These cancellations include the following events (more may be added later):
- ALL Senior Programming Classes
- 3/21 - Lawn & Garden Summit
- 3/21 - Centaur Time Trial
- 3/24 - Early Childhood Recreation Program
- 4/4 - Spring Egg Hunt
- 4/8 - Scrapbooking
- 4/16 - Early Childhood Recreation Program
- 4/20 - Staying Home Alone Class
- 4/24 - Arbor Day Be Brave 5K Run
- 4/25 - Wildwood Tack Swap & Sale
- 5/5 - Scrapbooking
Town Center Public Space - Public Input Session
The Public Input Session on Planning the Town Center Public Space will be conducted in an online format. Visit the Town Center Public Space page for information.